Friday, July 31, 2009

Dogs and Lace - A story of canine betrayal.

One of my current projects is a lace shawl from Nancy Bush's excellent book: Knitted Lace of Estonia: Techniques, Patterns and Traditions (available here: http://www.amazon.com/Knitted-Lace-Estonia-Techniques-Traditions/dp/1596680539). The piece has a peacock feather motif, with a nupp in the center of each of the feathers. I'm working it in a two-ply lace weight silk, and although I've started over a few times, I've been generally pleased with my progress. Unfortunately, however, it looks like I'll be starting it again.


Last night, I spent the evening sitting in a recliner in the living room, with son #3 (age 4 weeks) resting against my chest, working on the shawl. As the evening wore on, and my son's breathing turned to a tiny snore, I got sleepy. I put down the knitting, put the boy to bed, and then put myself to bed.


This evening, I went to look for the knitting, only to find it missing. Mrs. TSMK saw me searching, and asked what was wrong. When I mentioned my knitting, she grimaced. Apparently, one of TMSK's dogs found the knitting earlier today. Mrs. TSMK caught him running downstairs, ball of yarn in his mouth, trailing a sodden, dog-saliva-covered six inches of mangled lace. Oh well. Start again (and remember to put the knitting up and out of reach next time).


The culprit:

No comments:

Post a Comment