Sunday, June 27, 2010

Christmas in June

This afternoon, I wandered down to my LYS.   After my recent experience at the shop in Seattle, I was longing for comfortable fiber-filled surroundings.  Plus, I wanted to ask a question or two about my work - I've been thinking for some time about trying to find a way to combine my legal practice and my knitting interest, and I thought they might be able to recommend some trade shows or other events I might want to attend in order to meet new potential clients.

While I was there, I couldn't help but walk through the store and note a few new items in the shop.   Then it hit me, the year was half over.  Christmas was a short six months away. 

Last Christmas, I finished my last handknit gift at approximately 2:00 a.m. on Christmas morning.  Needless to say, when our boys awoke a short two hours later to ask (for the first time) if they could go downstairs to see what Santa had left for them I wasn't especially coherent.  When we ultimately did go downstairs (at around 5:30) I needed strong coffee just to stay awake during the present opening extravaganza. 

This year, I would like it to be different.  I would like to be in bed myself well before Santa arrives.  I would even like to be well-rested on Christmas morning - though I must admit I enjoyed getting to meet one of Santa's elves last year. 

And so, I must now begin the process of deciding what handknit items I want to make for people this year.  I have a few ideas. 

My dad got socks last year.  He liked them, but I'll probably want to do something different this year.  Mrs. TSMK got a sweater and a cowl.  She could probably use another sweater - so that's an idea.  The woman previously known as my "unadorned mother" got a lace shawl - but I'm not sure what to do for her this year.  Then there are my sons, brother, sister and many, many nephews and nieces.  Whew!  Lots to do.

I'd better get started.

~TSMK

2 comments:

  1. I started in january and I have fallen behind already and fear I won't get everything done till Christmas '11
    Good luck and I hope you get to go to bed a lot early for Christmas:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good plan. Because you know those 6 months will go by really fast. Me, I'm not going to knit for anyone at Christmas, but my inlaws are coming to visit in September, so I may be inspired to make them something.

    ReplyDelete