Thursday, October 27, 2011

On the way to the office this morning, I noticed workers putting white lights around the trunks and in the branches of trees lining the street.  This, of course, is a sign.  A sign of the passing of the seasons.  Soon, our resident bike messengers will change from spandex and t-shirts to skinny jeans and flannel; the truly destitute will once again outnumber those Seattle residents for whom panhandling appears to be merely a seasonal pastime; and Mrs. TSMK will once demonstrate a propensity for using Jimmy Buffet as a means to combat seasonal affective disorder.
 
And, of course, this is a sign that Christmas is nearly upon us.  Time to take stock of my projects.
 
This year, I have a outlined a goal of making gifts for seventeen people.  I started early, and have been making good progress.  Nevertheless, the chill in the air seems to be whispering: knit faster… knit faster…
 
To date, I have completed six and three halves.  On the complete list, a couple of sweaters, two wrestling masks, a pair of elf slippers and a pair of fingerless gloves.  On the not-yet-complete list, a second pair of fingerless gloves, another wrestling mask (mask 3 of a planned 6) and a scarf.  Good progress, but the days seem to be turning shorter.  There are essentially 8 weeks remaining.  Will I make it?  Will I need to spend every weekend in residence at my LYS – trying to keep pace?  Will I spend Christmas Eve huddled downstairs by the Amish Fireplace knitting until my fingers cramp? 
 
Probably.
 
~TSMK

No comments:

Post a Comment